- A school under lockdown is one of the safest places your child can be.
- During a lockdown, no one is permitted to leave, and no one, including a parent, is allowed on campus.
- School staff will attempt to notify parents by phone with updates.
- Reunification locations will always be publicized to the media.
- Text messaging and cell phone use should be kept to a minimum so as to not affect emergency communication.
Emergency Lockdown Procedures
If an emergency situation occurring in the vicinity of a school endangers student safety, the school may be placed under lockdown. Whenever a threat arises, schools are the focus of heightened attention for School Police and local authorities. Although such measures may seem extreme, they have proven effective to make sure students are safe. In fact, in an emergency, school is one of the safest places your child can be.
During a lockdown, a school will take several security measures:
- All school doors and windows are locked.
- All students and staff remain in their classrooms or offices.
- No one is permitted to leave and no one, including a parent, is allowed on campus.
Should a lockdown occur, parents should be aware of the following:
- Remain calm as school and local authorities manage the situation.
- If a lockdown lasts for an extended period of time, or goes beyond dismissal time, students will not be allowed to leave until recommended by the appropriate authorities. School staff will attempt to notify parents by phone.
- Parents/Guardians should call 311 for information about the schools lock down. Please do not call the school for information.
- Parents may be required to pick up children from school or another designated staging area, once it is determined to be safe to do so.
- Parents may be required to present identification.
- The reunification location will be given to parents over the phone when they dial 311and if possible, may be publicized by the media.
- School officials will work with the district’s transportation department regarding bus transport.
- Students and parents are reminded that during an emergency situation, cellular sites may be overwhelmed due to a high volume of calls. It is critical that students refrain from sending text messages or using the cell phone until the lockdown is over.
- Citizen Contact Center-City of Albuquerque
- APS Dispatch
Phone: (505) 243-7712