Skip To Main Content


The School-Based Health Center (SBHC) is a collaboration between Highland High School, UNM Medical Group and the UNM Department of Family and Community Medicine. There are also clinics at Albuquerque HS, Manzano HS, Washington MS, Van Buren MS and East San Jose ES.

We provide confidential, low cost / no cost services to all students. Please complete your registration and consent forms for ongoing access to care.


Services are available to all students—regardless of their ability to pay—and include:

  • Primary Care
  • Behavioral Health
  • Immunizations
  • Dental
  • Reproductive Health
  • LGBTQ Support

The clinic offers comprehensive services for students including annual health exams, immunizations, sports physicals, medical care, reproductive health care, health education, case management and counseling.

Our goal is to coordinate with the student’s primary healthcare provider and provide ease of access for families with the availability of lab testing, prescriptions and referrals. Please be advised that the clinic is not able to accept cash.

Health Concerns

We assist any student having a health condition which requires medications or treatments during the school day. Parents need to request doctors orders from their provider.

Health Screenings

Students having a vision, hearing or dental concern can be evaluated by the school nurse and receive a written referral to an appropriate provider.


The state of New Mexico Public Health Department requires every school aged student to maintain up to date immunizations. The school health staff monitors student shot records for compliance. We will inform parents if students will require more vaccinations. Free immunizations are available. Contact Public Health at 505-841-4100.


The school nurse is available for consultation with all staff, students, and their families regarding any health concern. We can provide confidential referrals to the UNM Based Health Center for medical, dental, behavioral/mental, or reproductive health and sports physicals. 505-256-3363

We can refer families needing Medicaid enrollment to the APS program at 505-855-5261. We also refer students without insurance to the APS Vision Fund for assistance.